MAXI-RACE ANNECY 2019: Races registration in almost all races and a new large format, the MaXi Mountain
With 11 race formats, the Salomon Gore-Tex® MaXi-Race always marks the beginning of the trail-running season with a bang. Held during the last weekend of May, it offers runners the chance to enter their first post-winter competition. For the elite, the MaXi-Race provides a first look at their main competitors as a preview for the season to come, and for amateurs, the festive gathering – with family or friends – represents the culmination of a winter spent training hard!
This year will be held during 24-26 May 2019. Here we have declarations from Jordi Gamito, who finished 2nd last year in Maxi-Race Annecy.
MAXI-RACE ANNECY: Incredible success for the 2019 Marathon-Race and MaXi-Race
In just 9 hours on November 15, 2018, the 2200 available spots for the Marathon-Race (40km, 2500m of vertical gain) were filled. The MaXi-Race (82km, 5200m vertical gain, 4 ITRA points) reached its 2000-runner limit in less than one month.
The event’s two flagship race formats, which take runners on a full or half loop around Lake Annecy via the surrounding summits, continue to enjoy overwhelming success and growing popularity. The breathtaking landscapes, technical terrain, and friendly atmosphere are the reasons why these races – designed for and by trail runners – prove so appealing.
The latest race to enter the mix, the Ultra-Race (115km, 7000m vertical gain, 5 ITRA points), has the most demanding course among the 11 formats, and with so few aid stations it will put participants’ self-sufficiency skills to the test, offering a genuine personal challenge that requires serious preparation and a rigorous training program.
Just over one hundred spots remain for the race’s 3rd edition (limited to 1000 runners). Since the Ultra-Race starts at midnight, participants will become great friends with the dark of the night. Several changes are in the works, including a shorter overall course, an earlier start, as well as modified assistance areas and aid stations. This distance remains an Ultra for runners who love amazing landscapes and pushing beyond their limits!
Only a few spots remain for the other races, which will likely fill up before the end of January. To date, more than 7520 runners from 52 countries are registered, including 1666 women!
MAXI-RACE ANNECY: A 15-day outdoor sports festival around Lake Annecy
May 18 and 19, 2019: The brand new MaXi-Mountain – from 230km to 250km – from de 20,000 to 27,000 vertical meters.
Returning to the origins of mountain sports is definitely the main motivation for organizing this new challenge. In the spirit of creating the unbreakable bond that comes with venturing into the mountains with others and the desire to explore the unbeaten path, this is an Adventure with a capital A. In teams of 3, the MaXi-Mountain represents the ultimate self-guided competition: no signage, no outside assistance, and only a few aid stations. It provides participants with the opportunity to fully immerse themselves in the backcountry and leave no trace on the environment. Aid stations will be located every 50km, with a required 1-hour “Stop & Go” to rest, change clothes, and eat a hearty organic and/or local meal.
The course is currently being mapped and will cross through the Aravis Mountains, the Bauges Mountains, and across Tournette Peak with spectacular views of Mont Blanc in the background.
The 2019 edition will be a test version, with a few French and foreign teams invited to verify the course and provide a photo preview of what is in store… In 2020, the official 1st edition will include approximately 50 teams selected based on the following criteria (in order of priority):
– Teams with at least two 2019 Ultra-Race finishers,
– Teams with at least one 2019 Ultra-Race finisher,
– Teams proving that they have considerable ultra marathon trail running and/or adventure racing and/or mountain expedition experience.
May 24-26, 2019: The Salomon Gore-Tex® MaXi-Race, “Designed for runners by runners,” this year will include 11 race formats, from 15km to 115km long, offering both elite and amateur runners the chance to choose their favorite distance. We are sure you can find the one adapted to your skills.
· Ultra-Race: 115km, 7000m vertical gain – The Ultra is limited to 1000 runners, 5 ITRA points
· MaXi-Race: 82km, 5200m vertical gain – The flagship race is limited to 2000 runners, 4 ITRA points
· XL-Race: 81km, 5200m vertical gain – Around the lake in 2 days
· XXL-Race: 117km in two days
· R-Race: 80km, 5200m vertical gain as a 2 or 4-person relay team – A challenge to share with others
· Marathon-Race: 40km, 2500m vertical gain – A half loop around Lake Annecy, limited to 2200 runners, 2 ITRA points
· Femina-Race: 16km, 950m vertical gain – 100% for women only, limited to 300 runners
· Short-Race: 16km, 950m vertical gain – The gateway to trail running, limited to 500 runners
· Mini-Race: from 100m to 1km for 300 young runners
· MaXi-Orientation and Semi-Orientation
June 1-2, 2019: the MaXi-Lake in the lakeside town of Sevrier. Up until now, the MaXi-Lake took place the same weekend as the trail races, and was primarily organized for kayakers (from beginners to experts). This year, the organizing team wanted to open the event to the lake’s other human-powered water sports, such as stand up paddle boarding, dragon boat racing, and rowing, to create a unifying gathering for all of the water sports clubs around Lake Annecy. Each discipline will include several distances, from 5 to 34 kilometers, allowing everyone to enjoy a weekend on the lake. For organizers, offering participants a choice in distance for their chosen water sport (among those offered) provides the MaXi-Lake with both a competitive and friendly aspect open to as many athletes as possible. For more information, visit: https://www.maxilake.com/english.
MAXI RACE ANNECY: WHAT ELSE?
The environment as a top priority, the MaXi-Race follows to the Steps To Nature Program, which encourages outdoor event organizers to reduce their impact on the environment and to build greater awareness about taking a sustainable approach to outdoor sports. Environmentally conscious from the very first edition (water stations, waste sorting, recycling, reusable signage…), MaXi-Race organizers do all they can to make the event as zero-impact as possible for this incredible outdoor playground and habitat.
Steps To Nature changes for 2019
– Less assistance allowed and increased self-reliance on certain sections of the course,
– More than 80% of the food at aid stations will be organic and/or local,
– A drastic reduction in non-recyclable and non-biodegradable waste,
– Tracking recyclable waste through private “recycling” partners,
– A dedicated area in the village for brands and environmental groups.
MAXI RACE: PHOTO GALLERY
MORE ON SKIMO, TRAIL RUNNING AND MOUNTAIN GEAR
- Our best reviews for selected mountain gear.
- Our video collection with athlete´s interviews, races and more.
- Carrerasdemontana.com offers the best trail info in spanish, since 2007.