SKYRUNNER WORLD SERIES 2019 CALENDAR: 15 RACES INC. TRANSVULCANIA, ULTRAPIRINEU AND BUFF EPIC TRAIL FOR SPAIN
The 2019 Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series calendar is announced together with the new, single season ranking which will determine the best skyrunner in the world. Fifteen races in eleven countries make up the new calendar which includes five new races.
SKYRUNNER WORLD SERIES 2019: RANKINGS AND CALENDAR
Fifteen races in eleven countries make up the new calendar which includes five new races. From 2019 all points scored will be counted in a single Sky Race category ranking. A limited number of SuperSky races will award extra bonus points.
A separate event, the Sky Masters, will represent the climax of the season where the top athletes will confront each other in a single race. Entry is open only to qualified athletes – a highlight for runners, fans and media alike. With an eye on the demand from skyrunners for new and shorter races, the new calendar ticks all the boxes and includes the features that distinguish the sport – ridge running, via ferrate, snowfields and scrambling – in some of the most spectacular and iconic locations worldwide.
The season opens on April 20 with a new Series’ race in Japan, for the first time on the calendar, presenting the Mt Awa SkyRace in a dream setting on snow-covered peaks.
In Europe, the birthplace of skyrunning, the SkyRace des Matheysins near Grenoble, France on May 19, offers some exciting ridge running.
Two short, super-steep race include the new specially designed Matterhorn Ultraks “EXTREME” on August 23 part of the popular Swiss venue, and Italy’s ZacUP SkyRace on September 15, with technical stretches on the historic Sentiero delle Grigne SkyMarathon on Lake Como.
Again, preferring the shorter distance, the Sky Pirineu on October 5 has been selected from the renowned Pirineu events in the Spanish Pyrenees. The biennial Royal Ultra SkyMarathon returns on July 21 with 4,000m of demanding vertical climb amid turquoise lakes and towering peaks in the Gran Paradiso National Park, Italy.
Ten more well-loved races make up the 2019 Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series calendar anticipating a new year of world-class events and star-studded competition.
Peter Worth, President of SkyMan SA, MRSWS management company, stated, “With five new races, the 2019 Migu Run Skyrunner World Series responds perfectly to the athletes’ expectations. Based on the value of the sport, we have built a circuit that guarantees epic competition at the highest level of skyrunning.”
SKYRUNNER WORLD SERIES 2019 CALENDAR
- April 21, Mt Awa SkyRace, 31km +2000m, Japon
- May 1, Yadin Skyrun 29km +2354m, Spain
- May11, Transvulcania Ultramaraton 74km +4350m, Spain
- May19, SkyRace des Matheysins 27km +1980m, France
- June 1, Madeira SkyRace 55km +4100m, Portugal
- June 15, Livigno SkyMarathon 34km +2700m, Italy
- June 29, Olympus Marathon 44km +3200m, Greece
- July 14, Buf Epic Trail 42k 42km +3325m, Spain
- July 21, Royal Ultra SkyMarathon 52km +4000m, Italy
- July 28, SkyRace Comapedrosa 21km +2280m, Italy
- August 3, Tromso SkyRace 57km +4700, Norway
- August 23, Matterhon Ultraks “Extreme” 24km +2800m, Switzerland
- September 15, ZacUp SkyRace 24km +2650m, Italy
- September 22, Pirin Ultra SkyRace 66km +4400, Bulgaria
- October 5, Sky Pirineu 37km +2575m, Spain
- Mid October, Sky Masters
Zegama will be out of the Skyrunner world series 2019.
In the coming weeks, the rules and regulations as well as the SuperSky Races and SkyMasters will be announced.
MORE ON TRAIL RUNNING: TOP RACES, RUNNERS, GEAR AND MORE.
- Our best trail running reviews for selected gear.
- Our video collection with runners interviews, races and more.
- Carrerasdemontana.com offers the best trail info in spanish, since 2007.