SKYRUNNER WORLD SERIES 2018: Orgué and Angermund wins at Dolomites SkyRace
We presented some time ago to you the Skyrunner World Series 2018 calendar, with several races across the world. Included in the Sky Classic we find the Dolomyths SkyRace which was held on July 22 in Canazei. A 22km race with a vertical climb of 1,750m with a highest point of 3,152m, Kilian maintains his record there since 2013 with 2h00’11” (2013) and Megan Kimmel in women with 2h25’57” since 2015.
SKY CLASSIC: Eleven races, ranging in distance from the 21k at Comapedrosa to the 46k at Zermatt. Rankings include 20% bonus points given out at Zegama, Matterhorn and Limone. The title goes to the best five results among the eleven races.
- May 2 Yading Skyrun, 30 km, China
- May 28 *Maratòn Alpina Zegama-Aizkorri, 42 km, Spain
- June 18 Livigno SkyMarathon®, Italy
- June 24 Olympus Marathon, Greece
- July 8 Buff Epic Trail 42KM, Spain
- July 22 Dolomites SkyRace, 22 km, Canazei, Italy
- July 30 SkyRace Comapedrosa, 21 km, Andorra
- August 26 *Matterhorn Ultraks «46K», Zermatt, Switzerland
- September 2 The Rut 25K, Montana, USA
- September 16 Salomon Ring of Steall Skyrace, 29km, Kinlochleven, UK
- October14 *Skyrunning Extreme – 23 km, Limone sul Garda, Italy
DOLOMITES SKYRACE: ORGUÉ AND ANGERMUND WINS
Spain’s Laura Orgué clinched her fourth win at the newly named Dolomyths Run in Canazei, Italy on July 22 with a time of 2h28’54”, second was for the American Hillary Gerardi in 2h32’09” who had a great day. “It was a great race ! We really lucky to have good weather so we got to go to Piz Boè. Everyone was strong on the uphill with a tight group of women up to the Forcella. On the downhill I got ahead. I just love this downhill. It’s so fun You can go so fast!” , she said. Rising stars, twin sisters Sanna and Lina El Kott from Sweden, who, like in life, were a close third and fourth in their first try at this race just 39 seconds apart.
Laura Ogué. Photo: ©PegasoMedia
Stian Angermund-Vik won the men race, the Norwegian who set a new ascent record on the sixth stage of the Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series Sky Classic category, Angermund led the race throughout but not without some strong competition. He fell short of Kilian Jornet’s 15-year old standing record but he did break the ascent record set in 2008 by Spaniard Agustí Roc, summiting in just 1h16’18”.
“I pushed hard up the Piz Boè like the young Stian [Aarvik] – the future!” commented Angermund-Vik. “He was following me but I got a little gap on the downhill. He and Nadir Maguet caught up with me – they were so quick on the crazy downhill. I was struggling so much. Then on the I last section I thought I need to do something and I tried to sprint and got a gap. So painful on the legs.! I kept looking back but luckily they didn’t catch me before the finish!” His closing time was 2h01’18”.
After him another Norwegian, Stian Aarvik with a time of 2h02’53” who was second in 2016 when he was just 19 years-old. Closing the tight podium was the Italian Nadir Maguet in 2h03’31”. Last year’s winner, Spaniard Jan Margarit was absent due to injury.
Stian Aarvik, Stian Angermund and Nadir Maguet. Photo: ©MRSWS
Top Five at Dolomyths SkyRace®
- Stian Angermund-Vik (NOR) – 2h01’18”
- Stian Aarvik (NOR) – 2h02’53”
- Nadir Maguet (ITA) – 2h03’31”
- Davide Magnini (ITA) – 2h06’45”
- Finlay Wild (GBR) – 2h07’03”
- Laura Orgué (ESP) – 2h28’54”
- Hillary Gerardi (USA) – 2h32’09”
- Sanna El Kott (SWE) HELANDER – 2h33’46”
- Lina El Kott (SWE) – 2h34’25”
- Holly Page (GBR) – 2h37’24”
With his fifth place today, Finlay Wild climbs to the top of the Sky Classic rankings followed by Marc Casal Mir and Pascal Egli. Holly Page continues her lead in the women’s category, now followed by Laura Orgué and Lina El Kott.The Migu Run Skyrunner® World Series now heads for the Principality of Andorra for the SkyRace® Comapedrosa on July 29, seventh leg of the Sky Classic category, valid for an extra 50% ranking points.
Full results Dolomyths SkyRace 2018
MORE ON TRAIL RUNNING: TOP RACES, RUNNERS, GEAR AND MORE.
Info by Abel de Frutos for Trailrunningspain