Ehunmilak 2017: Basque hundred miles comes up July 7th-9th. Three races with 1.200 entries and 1.500 volunteers
Ehunmilak means hundred miles in Basque. This year´s Ehunmilak 2017 marks the eighth edition of the Basque Hundred Miles which covers 168k/D+11.000m all over Goierri, the Basque highlands. Two main summits dominate the race, those of Txindoki and Aizkorri, while 1.200 trail runners enjoy up to three races (42k-88k-168k) races moving on through two different natural parks supported by 1.500 volunteers.
Runners at Beasaín finish line, often confirm they will come back again for the unique atmosphere: The superb attention to detail per every runner by the organization, coupled with the passionate support of basque aficionados ensure that the field of runners at Ehunmilak keeps on growing, reaching up to 16 countries this year. Enjoy the start of the 2016 edition before we move on to the latest novelties for 2017.
The 8th EHUNMILAK ULTRA-TRAIL comes up from July 7th to 9th
#Ehunmilak17 celebrates the eighth edition of the hundred Basque miles, setting a new mark in the sustained growth of an event, which now hosts three mountain races. The Marimurumendi marathon (42km) and Goierriko 2 haundiak (88km) sold out all entries in just a short time after opening registrations, At the same time, the imposing main race of the event, the hundred miles Ehunmilak Ultra-Trail commands such a deep respect that only veterans with years of experience and preparation take it on, this year having surpassed the 400 mark for the first time.
All of the 1200 runners from 16 countries and their Friends and families will Benefit from one fo the most commited organizations that deploys up to 1.500 volunteers, that together with the renowned basque passion for endurance sports make sure that at Ehunmilak you Will never run alone.
Ehunmilak novelties for 2017: The main novelties of this eigth edition correspond to the environment, sports control, safety and live race tracking.
- In the environmental field, extended measures are applied on waste recycling, with an ever larger number of containers for selective recycling in the race.
- Sports control includes specialized personnel to ensure no runner receives external support in any form, as well as cheking out mandatory gear per each entry.
- Live race coverage will be available via geolocation, video streaming and radiotrail. All ultrarunners for the 88k and 168km races, will be geotagged by GPS, ensuring optiming info for their followers plus top-nocth safety of all. It is also worth mentioning the increase in emergency specialists to cover the route with greater guarantees. Finally, fans will be able to follow the race by live streaming video as well as radio, with a live show of up to 30 hours coordinated by veteran trail journalist Mayayo from the #radiotrail show at Maratonradio.com
Races to be held on 7-8-9 July, with start and finish from Beasaín, Gipuzkoa. The 3 events of this eighth edition will be held next weekend, July 7, 8 and 9 with departure and arrival in Beasain. Two of the tests will start on Friday July 7th (Ehunmilak at 18:00, Goierriko bi haundiak at 11:00 pm) and the little sister will be held on Sunday, July 9 (Marimurumendi at 9:00).
The two more accesible races sold out earlier than ever, reaching 515 and 265 entries respectively for Goierriko bi haundiak trail (88kkm/D+6.500m) and the Marimurumendi mountain marathon (42k/D+2300m). As for the Ehunmilak Ultra-Trail main event, its demanding course of 168km/D+11,000 meters continues to attract an ever larger number of participants per year, as its reputation for beauty, personality and toughtness grows larger. There will be 409 aspirants this year to its finish line.
Key data: # Ehunmilak17 registers 1,189 trailrunners, including 9.6% of women.
- Ehunmilak Ultra-Trail (168km): 409 registered runners from 15 different countries, of which 20 are women. In the 3-people team mode,16 teams are registered.
- Goierriko 2bi haundiak (88k): 515 runners from 3 different countries are enrolled, of which 37 are women.
- Marimurumendi (42k): 265 participants registered from 5 different countries, of which 57 are women.
The event attracts runners and journalists from 16 countries, including: Japan, Portugal, France, Germany, United States, Andorra, United Kingdom, Argentina, Austria, Uruguay, Netherlands, Poland, Sweden and Hungary. The number of volunteers continues to increase year after year, with more than 1500 volunteers to help in this edition. As in previous years there will be a bus service for fans, friends and familiy to follow the event live from one site to another with five special bus lines created for the event.
Race live coverage: Runner Geolocation, Video streaming and radiotrail show. The Ehunmilak.com website will be completely changed during the days of the race to add all different ways to follow the event live
- There will be a geolocation system to follow all runners at the Ultra-Trail-168km and Goierriko bi haundiak-88k.
- Live video images or streaming on the web and on the giant screen of the main square of Beasain with live images of the most interesting areas of the tour.
- Radio show live by #radiotrail team led by Trail journalist Mayayo at MaratonRadio.com (official radio of ehunmilak 2017), will offer +30 hours of live broadcast in 3 languages (Basque, Spanish and English), with live connections coming from different points of the route.
EHUNMILAK 2016: PHOTOGALLERY BY MAYAYO.
MORE ON TRAIL RUNNING IN SPAIN
- Our best trail running reviews for selected gear.
- Our video collection with runners interviews, races and more.
- The leading website for global info on trailrunning in spanish, here.